[clug] Ergonomic keyboards

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Thu May 10 02:25:10 GMT 2007

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 11:56:43AM +1000, Michael James wrote:
> Seriously though, have you got those mappings available?
> I'd like to try them.

These are pretty much out of the man page for xmodmap:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
remove Control = Control_L
keysym Control_L = Control_L
keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
add Lock = Caps_Lock
add Control = Control_L

> On a similar subject, anyone worked on mouse button mappings?
>
> I've also got a Logitech MX_revolution. Has a spinable scroll-wheel.
> With "revoco" I can get the wheel button doing centre-click,
>  most of the time, until it decides to revert to switching
>  between free-spinning mode and click mode.

Usually with those mouses you need to increase the number of buttons in
xorg.conf. The default is "4 5" but you can do:

        Option          "ZAxisMapping"          "4 5 6 7 8"

but I have seen mouses with more buttons too. It doesnt hurt to have them all
enabled in xorg even if the mouse doesnt have them. Then you use xev to see
which button does what and use xmodmap to map the button event to whatever you
want those buttons to do.

> I'd like to map the button above the scroll-wheel
>  to reliably work as centre-click.

You just need to map the button events for the extra button to middle click as
well.

Hope this helps,
  Michael.