[clug] MtM - content update

Ben shadroth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 14:46:36 GMT 2007

On 3/14/07, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:34, Sam Couter wrote:
> > On the Get Started page, the bit about different distributions: "In
> > essence they are all the same" is very misleading. At the core they're all
> > the GNU userspace utils on a Linux kernel, with many of the same
> > applications available, but the different distributions have a very
> > different feel and appearance, different methods of installing and
> > configuring software, etc. All the important bits from the user
> > perspective are different.
> Well, perhaps. Linux is Linux is Linux, really. But I grant that they work
> differently. They are in essence all the same, as far as I can tell. Ubuntu
> might look a little different, but it still uses Gnome, and it still uses the
> same applications, it might install applications differently to Fedora but in
> essense it's just using a package management tool that's different. And I do
> explain about having different looks and feels and how this is a positive
> thing, maybe this is still a fair comment. Does anyone else have any thoughts
> on this?

Lately I've been explaining the different distributions in a similar way:

The same applications are available on all distros. The main
differences are to do with how programs are added, removed and updated
(with emphasis that for 99% of applications, all add/remove/update
will be handled centrally). Some distributions make some applications
easier to setup than others and some make certain kinds of hardware
easier to setup. There is also a difference in look and feel between
distros - even with the underlying systems the same, the variety in
look and feel is even more extreme than Windows vs. Mac. It's also
very customisable, but out of the box most distributions (especially
those with a focus on new users), are setup with a user friendly
interface.

> > Debian gets top billing! Yeah! I'd put Ubuntu next, not Fedora, but I'm
> > biased towards the Debian-based distributions. There also doesn't seem
> > to be any mention of Canonical's free mailing of Ubuntu CDs to anyone who
> > asks.
> Well actually that's because of alphabetical order ;) I could randomise them I
> guess, but this seemed the most logical setup at this stage :)

The site is clearly targeted at people who don't know much, if
anything, about Linux. I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning any
distros other than Ubuntu and others focussed on ease of use. It
doesn't really matter which one people start on, as long as they start
and it isn't too painful.

Have you seen: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Ben