[clug] MtM - content update

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Wed Mar 14 12:28:47 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 22:34, Sam Couter wrote:
[snip]

> I haven't really looked at the site until now. It looks good, with plenty
> of good information.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out, much appreciated.

> Style tip: 'Too' many 'quotes' in the 'text'. Maybe a few too many
> exclamation marks too!
Thanks for pointing that out Sam. I'll put that on the list of things to go
over once I get these next things done.

> Abiword isn't "similar to Microsoft Word", it's just a "Word processing
> program". Similarly, The Gimp isn't "like Adobe Photoshop". And what's
> raster mean? Maybe regular Photoshop users already know, but it seems to
> me like it may be too technical a term for someone who's just looking
> for an image editor.
Hmm.. ok.. but I would think most people don't know what a word processing
application is, rather they just know "Word"TM. I'll think this one over,
thanks. I'm not trying to say the program works the same, I'm trying to draw
comparisons of the type of program with something most readers should be
familiar with.

> On the Get Started page, the bit about different distributions: "In
> essence they are all the same" is very misleading. At the core they're all
> the GNU userspace utils on a Linux kernel, with many of the same
> applications available, but the different distributions have a very
> different feel and appearance, different methods of installing and
> configuring software, etc. All the important bits from the user
> perspective are different.
Well, perhaps. Linux is Linux is Linux, really. But I grant that they work
differently. They are in essence all the same, as far as I can tell. Ubuntu
might look a little different, but it still uses Gnome, and it still uses the
same applications, it might install applications differently to Fedora but in
essense it's just using a package management tool that's different. And I do
explain about having different looks and feels and how this is a positive
thing, maybe this is still a fair comment. Does anyone else have any thoughts
on this?

> Debian gets top billing! Yeah! I'd put Ubuntu next, not Fedora, but I'm
> biased towards the Debian-based distributions. There also doesn't seem
> to be any mention of Canonical's free mailing of Ubuntu CDs to anyone who
> asks.
Well actually that's because of alphabetical order ;) I could randomise them I
guess, but this seemed the most logical setup at this stage :)

> Overall it looks pretty good to me.

Cheers. Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Chris