[clug] MtM - content update

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Mar 14 11:34:27 GMT 2007

Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been working on some content changes for make the move website
> and I'm looking for anyone willing to give it a read over?

I haven't really looked at the site until now. It looks good, with plenty
of good information.

Style tip: 'Too' many 'quotes' in the 'text'. Maybe a few too many
exclamation marks too!

Abiword isn't "similar to Microsoft Word", it's just a "Word processing
program". Similarly, The Gimp isn't "like Adobe Photoshop". And what's
raster mean? Maybe regular Photoshop users already know, but it seems to
me like it may be too technical a term for someone who's just looking
for an image editor.

On the Get Started page, the bit about different distributions: "In
essence they are all the same" is very misleading. At the core they're all
the GNU userspace utils on a Linux kernel, with many of the same
applications available, but the different distributions have a very
different feel and appearance, different methods of installing and
configuring software, etc. All the important bits from the user
perspective are different.

Debian gets top billing! Yeah! I'd put Ubuntu next, not Fedora, but I'm
biased towards the Debian-based distributions. There also doesn't seem
to be any mention of Canonical's free mailing of Ubuntu CDs to anyone who
asks.

Overall it looks pretty good to me.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au