[clug] MtM - content update

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Wed Mar 14 22:10:46 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 March 2007 01:46, Ben wrote:
[snip]
> Lately I've been explaining the different distributions in a similar way:
>
> The same applications are available on all distros. The main
> differences are to do with how programs are added, removed and updated
> (with emphasis that for 99% of applications, all add/remove/update
> will be handled centrally). Some distributions make some applications
> easier to setup than others and some make certain kinds of hardware
> easier to setup. There is also a difference in look and feel between
> distros - even with the underlying systems the same, the variety in
> look and feel is even more extreme than Windows vs. Mac. It's also
> very customisable, but out of the box most distributions (especially
> those with a focus on new users), are setup with a user friendly
> interface.
That sounds good, thanks. Currently I say:
"In essence they are all the same but they can have different ways of doing
things, such as the way they handle the installation of applications.
Different distributions often come with different software by default and
some come with different versions of that software. Artwork is often
different as can be the layout and feel of the desktop."

I'll see if I can re-word that and give the translators some more work to
do :)

[snip]

> The site is clearly targeted at people who don't know much, if
> anything, about Linux. I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning any
> distros other than Ubuntu and others focussed on ease of use. It
> doesn't really matter which one people start on, as long as they start
> and it isn't too painful.
Hmm.. I think we definately need a variety of Linux distributions available,
as not everyone is going to like Ubuntu.

> Have you seen: http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/
Yep, and it's mentioned on the getstarted page ;)

"Want some more help deciding which Linux distribution to use? Try this
online 'Linux Distribution Chooser', which asks you some questions and then
makes a personal recommendation for you!"

Thanks again, good stuff.

Cheers,
Chris