[clug] Macbook linux

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan at mammoth.com.au
Tue Jul 10 02:17:24 GMT 2007

I have run Ubuntu feisty on recent MacBook Pro. Installation is a little
bit complicated, but wiki documentation is reasonably good.

The downsides:

- Keyboard doesnt have separate delete/backspace which gets annoying
quickly (and the max standard is apparently to have delete where
backspace normally is).

- Likewise, the alt and "apple" keys are reversed position compared to
alt and windows key, which is annoying for muscle memory.

 I guess if you know what you're doing you can remap the keys.

- I found that linux didnt do cpu scaling (or didnt do it well), so the
CPU fan would continually rev up to a high level every ten minutes or
so, which doesnt seem to happen in OS X.

I bought a MacBook so I could a) test software in Safari, and b)
normally run Linux on it.

If your only goal is to run Linux, given my experience I personally
would look elsewhere. The hardware is nice enough, but there's enough
annoyances that a standard laptop is better for linux usage.

Regards
Nathan