[clug] etch and egroupware, a sad story

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Wed Feb 21 12:55:08 GMT 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:49:44PM +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> Yeah, I wasn't complaining or blaming anyone, I just found the
> conversation quite amusing :) I don't know whether the maintainer for
> egroupware is the same as postgresql, but according to my etch install
> at least postgresql is not at 8.1 yet.. but then I could be doing
> something wrong ;)

The package "postgresql" a virtual package pointing to postgresql-7.4
and will remain that way until etch releases (backward compatability).
At that point a system was created that would allow you to install many
versions of postgresql simultaneously. If you want postgresql 8.1 you
need to install the package "postgresql-8.1", you don't need to
uninstall 7.4 at the same time.

You can then run the upgrade script to migrate the databases, and when
done you can uninstall 7.4 (unless you want to keep it ofcourse).

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/