[clug] Disturbing mail from Optus

Edward Lang edlang at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 04:10:06 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm a little tired from last night, but quickly...

On 2/10/07, Duncan Roe <duncan_roe at acslink.net.au> wrote:

> In the coming months, we'll replace your current OptusNet Webmail service
> with
> an enhanced Windows Live Mail service. This means your login details,
> webmail
> and contact records will be transitioned to Microsoft so we can provide
> you with
> a vastly improved Webmail and calendar service.
>
> At this time, if you haven't already, you will be required to create your
> Windows Live ID in order to access your Webmail records on the new
> service.
>
> Create your Windows Live ID now.

This sounds very similar to a service which has existed for many years:
Microsoft Passport. From what I gather, Microsoft has brought its Hotmail
web mail service under the Windows Live banner and I presume they are also
consolidating their Passport service.

Flickr has gone the same route in the wake of it being purchased by Yahoo!
-- they are forcing the transition to using Yahoo! accounts to authenticate
with Flickr, rather than the original account.

I very much doubt it will have an impact on your ability to use Optus cable
or web mail services. After five or ten minutes of digging around on the
myriad Microsoft websites I successfully registered edlang at edlang.org as a
valid Passport account, which I now use with Gaim for MSN.

I may be totally off the mark with these comments, but hopefully not...

Regards,

Edward.

--
Edward C. Lang