[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Mon Aug 27 21:13:56 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 07:06:47AM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> I want one too, for a motorbike. Must be Linux friendly as I just don't
> do Windows anymore.
>
> I spent a fair bit of time looking and gave up. Nobody supports Linux in
> any way. Some devices give NMEA updates, but they all store maps in
> proprietary formats and make it hard to save and load tracks and
> waypoints and such.

I just have one of those Bluetooth GPS mice. It works like a serial
device and works just fine dumping NMEA to whichever linux machine you
want (or mobile phone).

The maps thing is trickier. I've heard good things about Garmin and
there are programs to make your own maps. If you're interested in that
side, check out:

http://www.openstreetmaps.org/

Amongst other things they have a large set of reviews of various types
of GPSes and what features are easier to use for your own maps. There
is also a lot of infmoration about building your own maps and
supporting software.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/