[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Mon Aug 27 21:06:47 GMT 2007

matt at kororaa.org <matt at kororaa.org> wrote:
> Hey Cluggers,
>
> I'm interesting in getting a GPS, one that can both be used in Car and
> hand held.

I want one too, for a motorbike. Must be Linux friendly as I just don't
do Windows anymore.

I spent a fair bit of time looking and gave up. Nobody supports Linux in
any way. Some devices give NMEA updates, but they all store maps in
proprietary formats and make it hard to save and load tracks and
waypoints and such.

Even if I did use Windows, I'd be stuck with the device manufacturer's
arse-sucking software with no choice to use superior software.

So go with the old-fashioned, robust approach to navigation: Paper maps
and a compass.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au