[clug] partitioning

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 07:33:00 GMT 2007

I read an interesting book a while ago.  I forget it's name but it
was something like "Optimising Linux servers" by someone from IBM.

They said that that start of the disk - cylinder 0 was around the
outside of the disk and had the fastest access and so on until the
centre of the disk which has the slowest access.  If you are
partitioning a single disk then (as opposed to a raid) to make best
use of that info you would partition like this so things that need
that fast access get it, and things that virtually never change go
near the end of the disk.

/dev/hda1		2Gig	swap	swap
/dev/hda2		16G	ext3	/var
/dev/hda4		>200G	ext3	/home