[clug] partitioning

Craig Small csmall at enc.com.au
Sat Aug 25 13:51:06 GMT 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 01:11:45PM +1000, Michael James wrote:
> Having a separate /boot partition used to be a necessity
>  in the days of buggy BIOSes, but still seems worthwhile.
> It obviated a slow return from hibernation probelm a while ago.
> It's also a good way to build a dual boot system,
>  put Windows into hda3 and slide GRUB in underneath it.
I always have a small / or /boot, usually /
Used to think it was for the good old days with those BIOSes.
Until you fry a partition.  The smaller the partition, the less chance a
random block dying will kill it.

It also means if it all turns to custard, you can get into single-user
mode quicker after the fsck.

 - Craig
--
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
http://www.enc.com.au/                             csmall at : enc.com.au