[clug] installing Ubuntu 7.04

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Aug 22 10:18:25 GMT 2007

Mike Carden wrote:
>> The only way to not destroy your Windows[/MacOS] is to configure a dual-boot environment which is
>> probably not a good idea if you're just starting with Linux.
>>

> Not a good idea? Why ever not? I'd have thought it's a fine idea. The
> x86 installers for Ubuntu usually do a fine job of allowing Windows to
> dual boot with Linux, and in fact it's probably a low impact way for a
> beginner to start off.

I would still be very careful and back up all your data first.

I know that they do fancy partition shrinking and all sorts of other
games these days but frankly it's too easy to select the wrong option
and not properly read the inevitable warnings that tell you the terrible
things it's about to do.  That would go doubly if this was your first
install and you were unsure of what the options meant.

Last time I set up a dual boot using two hard drives I still went to the
effort of unplugging the one that I didn't want to be touched.  I just
think that telling it to destroy the 160G drive rather than the 200G
drive is too easy a mistake to make compared to the consequences of
getting it wrong.

David