[clug] installing Ubuntu 7.04

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:09:30 GMT 2007

On 8/22/07, Brett Worth <brett at worth.id.au> wrote:

> I thought I should make sure you realise that installing Linux on your system will destroy
> Windows and all files you have on there already.  The message you posted indicates that
> you're still running Windows when you try to load Linux.

Or MacOS, as the case may be.

> The only way to not destroy your Windows is to configure a dual-boot environment which is
> probably not a good idea if you're just starting with Linux.

Not a good idea? Why ever not? I'd have thought it's a fine idea. The
x86 installers for Ubuntu usually do a fine job of allowing Windows to
dual boot with Linux, and in fact it's probably a low impact way for a
beginner to start off.

On the other hand, I have never tried to get Linux and MacOS dual
booting, so that may be a whole 'nother thing. I gave up on MacOS on
the G3 some time ago and haven't looked back.

--
MC