[clug] A routing question

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Apr 18 23:44:37 GMT 2007

I've helped friends play this game before.  Our situation sounded
similar, we were in the residential colleges and all outgoing traffic
was charged (at over 30c/mb).  On the other hand the university gave us
free traffic and we had an open connection to the university.  By
playing bouncing games we were able to route through the university
cache or directly out to the internet.

Assuming you don't have access to the routers I don't think that you can
do this using standard IP routing.  I think that the easiest way to do
it is to set up a proxy server on the middle computer, so it does the
external requests on your behalf.  A http proxy server is fairly easy to
find but if you want a lot of different ports you could try playing with
socks.  I'd also suggest some fairly strict blocking rules to stop other
people jumping through your proxy.

If you want a specific site like a game server you can set up a tunnel
using ssh, the manual explains how to do it fairly well.

A final warning, the ANU monitors traffic levels from all computers and
as soon as your traffic starts to go above the normal levels they will
pay you a visit.  They have all seen these tricks done many times before.

David