[clug] A routing question

Chris u4123459 at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 19 02:55:59 GMT 2007

Hi Bob,

The rate-limiting only applies from colleges to colleges, they probably
did this by specifying subnets in their traffic shaping rules.

I looked at GRE tunneling. I can make a tunnel between my own gateway in
subnet A and the host in subnet C, I can make another tunnel in between
the host in subnet C and my other gateway in subnet B.

Say this is the situation:

subnet A  150.203.A.0
netmask   255.255.255.0
router    150.203.A.2

subnet B 150.203.B.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
router    150.203.B.2

subnet C 150.203.C.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
router    150.203.C.2

In subnet A's gateway I do this,

//making a tunnel between my gateway in A and the host in C

ip tunnel add netc mode gre remote 150.203.C.2 local 150.203.A.2 ttl 255
ip link set netc up
ip addr add 150.203.A.2 dev netc
ip route add 150.203.C.2 dev netc  (if this won't work, I can then
try ip route add 150.203.C.0/24 dev netc)

In subnet B's gateway I do this,

//making a tunnel between my gateway in B and the host in C

ip tunnel add netc mode gre remote 150.203.C.2 local 150.203.B.2 ttl 255
ip link set netc up
ip addr add 150.203.B.2 dev netc
ip route add 150.203.B.2 dev netc (if this won't work, I can then try ip
route add 150.203.B.0/24 dev netc)

If the above is correct, I have built a tunnel between A and C, then
between B and C. How do I connect these two tunnels together on the host
in C?

Cheers
Chris