[clug] Computer Woes

Neill Cox neillcox at mac.com
Wed Oct 18 00:04:24 GMT 2006

Not just linux problem, but:

I have new intel based motherboard (a Gigabyte GA-965G-DS3) but am
having problem getting the thing to work.

BIOS comes up fine and it will start booting from a CD (or the old
Ubuntu installation on one of the disks) but it looks like as soon as
the PC tries to switch video modes it all goes to crap.  Sometimes I
get random rubbish on the screen, sometimes I get a solid colour
(red, green or blue).

I've tried swapping out memory, fiddling with BIOS settings etc.

I'm wondering if anyone on the list has had a similar experience?  Is
it likely that the onboard VGA is bad or is there another explanation?

Currently I'm thinking about buying a cheap PCI video card and seeing
if I can then boot, but I really would prefer something that has open
source drivers.

Cheers,
Neill