[clug] Re: Why switch to Linux?

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Fri Nov 10 04:59:37 GMT 2006

Jacinta Richardson wrote:
> apt-get/yum/etc
> (snip)
> That's my "killer" app.
Totally with you there Jacinta.  And add to that the fact that that
automatic upgrade ability goes all the way to the very heart of the
kernel, so that we get new versions of the actual operating system core
whenever improvements come out.  Add also the fact that, for many of us,
the download of those patches and new applications can be set up to be
from our local ISP's mirror, so it's quick and doesn't cost us anything
in our monthly download allocation.  For Debian and Ubuntu people, you
also get to search for applications, extensions and plugins without
having to be online - only when you've found what you want and are about
to download it do you actually have to waste internet traffic.  And if
you need any other packages to install what you want, they're downloaded
for you - which means that if you already have them, they don't get
downloaded and installed twice.

About the only thing that these repositories don't have is a rating or
comments system to tell you which of the half-dozen different CD burner
packages or audio players, for instance, will suit your needs.  Damn,
there's another killer app that I need to program in order to get
worldwide renown.  :-)

Have fun,

Paul