[clug] Re: Why switch to Linux?

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Fri Nov 10 04:29:21 GMT 2006

Robin Shannon wrote:
> Is there
> any out of the box sort of websever set ups that non-geeks could deal
> with? Can anyone else think of real KILLER apps?

apt-get/yum/etc

I'm serious.

All of my family members who don't use Linux are amazed when I can say "Oh,
Linux keeps track of _all_ of my application updates for me automatically."
even if I have never used those applications.  Even if I don't know that they're
installed.  I especially like Ubuntu's little orange button in the top panel
telling me when updates are available.

And when I want to install something, I don't have to go web searching.  I can
use my package manger and there's a very good chance that I'll find what I'm
looking for.  Even better, my package manger will usually install it for me
without needing my interaction.  I don't (usually) have to specify what
directory it will go in, or whether I want a full/custom/express install.  It
just works.

That's my "killer" app.