[clug] Why switch to Linux?

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Thu Nov 9 04:11:42 GMT 2006

Drew Parsons wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 14:28 +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:
>> Chris Smart wrote:
>>> A section "Why switch to Linux?" was proposed and I like the idea so I'm
>>> asking people to make some suggestions on reasons why people should
>>> switch to Linux. Can you help?
>
>> 2) robustness (rarely crashes)
>
> To be honest I find this statement is extremely deceptive.
>
> Between firefox, evolution, open office and power management, I find my
> laptop running Linux crashes a *lot*.  Doesn't always freeze the entire
> system up (then again sometimes it does), but a crash is a crash.
The cause of your crashes might not be Linux, though. It might be bad
hardware, overheating or memory issues? Have you had the laptop
thoroughly tested? Just a thought, I find that Linux rarely crashes for me.

I agree though that the wording could change in that crashing rarely
takes out your whole computer like under Windows.

What do others think?

-c