[clug] Why switch to Linux?

freegazer freegazer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 08:46:12 GMT 2006

On 11/9/06, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:

> Drew Parsons wrote:
> I'm
> >
> >> 2) robustness (rarely crashes)
> >
> > To be honest I find this statement is extremely deceptive.
> >
> > Between firefox, evolution, open office and power management, I find my
> > laptop running Linux crashes a *lot*.  Doesn't always freeze the entire
> > system up (then again sometimes it does), but a crash is a crash.
> The cause of your crashes might not be Linux, though. It might be bad
> hardware, overheating or memory issues? Have you had the laptop
> thoroughly tested? Just a thought, I find that Linux rarely crashes for
> me.
>
> I agree though that the wording could change in that crashing rarely
> takes out your whole computer like under Windows.
>
> What do others think?
>
> -c
> --

perhaps a better slant for this would be something that emphasis the
recoverable nature of the OS/Distro's
while alluding to the stability. there is also an oppurtunity to sling mud
at the "troubleshooters" etc but I get
the impression that this is less about mud slinging and more about pointing
out positives. An example would be:

Due to its very nature Linux provides a much more stable platform as in the
much less frequent case
of an application ether misbehaving or crashing the Operating System itself
rarely fails completely. This
results in your computer normally remaining active and usable. Often these
situations can be resolved
 quite quickly using the tools available with the Operating System itself
(rather than purchased in addition
to the Operating System itself). Also due to the way Linux works you
normally find messages that
don't normally require years of training to either find or decipher that
tell you what went wrong.

Simon