[clug] [for sale] WANTED: nVidia 5200 gfx card

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue May 2 04:24:11 GMT 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 02:18:09PM +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Neil Pickford wrote:
> >Hi Tony
> >I am using the nVidia 5200 as well (Just not on Linux), however a
> >cautionary note to make sure the graphics chip has a fan on it.
> Geez, you must be flogging your 5200 - mine has a largish passive
> heatsink and it's never caused any problems.  This is in an Antec Sonata
> case with four hard disks in it and an Athlon 2400 cooled with a
> standard heatsink; it doesn't blow much hot air and it's never had
> problems.  I also changed the motherboard over to a passive Zalman
> NB-47J heatsink as I've had two separate 40mm fans die (they start
> making noise, slowing down, and eventually they clog up completely).  As
> far as I'm concerned, fans are an excellent way to have a computer die
> on you prematurely.
>
> Speaking of which: is there anyone out there with an old Pentium in the
> 100 - 166MHz range, with no 'glued on' heatsink?  I'm making a
> Smoothwall firewall for a friend and I want to bolt an old Athlon
> heatsink onto it and see if I can make the processor completely
> passively cooled.  It makes a lot of noise at the moment...

I am pretty sure we have some old p100 or p133 sort of machiens with no fans
or something if you want to wander over and have a look. You are welcome to
one if we find one you like.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
what do you want from this lifetime? how does your story line flow?