[clug] uPnP clients and servers

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Mar 29 22:28:43 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 17:47 -0800, Michael Still wrote:

> My very limited reading at the time suggests that uPnP sits on HTTP,
> much like webdav, so I wonder why there isn't an Apache module to do all
> of this...

Yeah it's basically a SOAP client/server setup, with some multicast UDP
thrown in for service location and discovery.  I've abandoned some
twisted python code[1] for both server and client side stuff because the
hardware was a piece of junk, but someone else has picked it up and
started to do something useful[2] with it.

There are a bunch of documents you can download from the uPnP forum
about it which might provide some insight but I mostly used ethereal and
figured out how things worked from there.

Tim.

[1] http://frungy.org/~tpot/python-upnp-abandoned.tar.gz
[2] http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/jmpc/pymeds.html