[clug] uPnP clients and servers

Robert Edwards bob at dcsmail.anu.edu.au
Sun Mar 26 12:24:11 GMT 2006

I use gmediaserver with about 3000 mp3s, but they are all arranged in
directories
(which, apparently, isn't how most modern MP3 players want to see them -
bad luck).
So, in any given directory, there is probably only an album's worth of
files for
gmediaserver to check.

As far as I know, gmediaserver is the only open-source implementation of
a uPnP
server available, so if you want all those features - start coding! As
far as I am concerned
uPnP sucks, not gmediaserver, but it is all my Philips SLA5500 can use.

I certainly don't have any problems with gmediaserver. You can look at
the quasi-free
server whose name I can't be bothered looking up at the moment. Worked
fine for about
3 months until some internal code caused it to time-out or something.
Won't go there
again!

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.