[clug] Selling a PC and getting a laptop

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Sun Mar 12 22:32:46 GMT 2006

Brian wrote:
> Leo,
>
>>Have you actually used a Pioneer notebook with Linux running on it?
>>

> No
>

>>I recently tried to help someone running FC4 on a late model Pioneer and
>>to cut a long story short:-
>>- It seemed that there is an interrupt conflict issue (between the
>>graphic adapter and network card when applying open source (from Livna)
>>or proprietary drivers from Nvidia) that can't be corrected because your
>>locked out of the BIOS.
>
> Don't you hate that! I thought only Dell would do something like that.

Have you ever been locked out of the BIOS by Dell? I have never heard
of them doing anything like that.

We run Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, some Fedora) on a number of Dell laptops
and have rarely had any problems over the past 6 years or so. Of course,
if you are looking for a laptop that can handle a lot of physical abuse,
you may be better off looking at something more rugged, but we have had
no real problems with them.

Bob Edwards.