[clug] Selling a PC and getting a laptop

Brett Worth brettw at cray.com
Mon Mar 13 04:59:28 GMT 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 09:32:46AM +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:

> We run Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, some Fedora) on a number of Dell laptops
> and have rarely had any problems over the past 6 years or so.

I've been using a Dell 5150 (1600x1200, 3Ghz, 512M, 40G, OpenSuSE10)
for the past 3 years and I've been very happy with it.

There have been a few bad things:

	The minipci wireless card cant do linux.  I  use a PCMCIA Cisco
		card for wireless.
	The ATI graphics in it has never run GL properly.  Whenever I use
		the ATI binary only drivers it gets unstable.  I dont
		use this machine for gaming so it doesn't matter.
	Its very heavy.  Really a desktop replacement and not too portable.
	The Philips DVD drive is zone locked.  (My home Pioneer DVD player
		is open and the laptop I take all over the place is locked!!)

The onsite warranty is good though.  I had the disk replaced and they were very
responsive. Next day replacement.

I just wish I wasn't forced to pay the MicroSoft tax.

Next time I think I'll be more picky about the graphics and wireless linux
support.

--
Brett

 Cray Australia.