[clug] Selling a PC and getting a laptop

Gary Woodman antigramp at yahoo.com.au
Sun Mar 12 10:11:31 GMT 2006

--- Pascal Klein <4pascal at tpg.com.au> wrote:

> I'm wanting to get myself a laptop, a desktop replacement actually.
> I've been looking around for a while now and I've seen many models
> from a heap of different places.

Good thought!

> I'm probably going to go for a Dell Inspiron model.  I like
> their Inspiron models because of the larger screens, such as the 17"
> widescreens (after all I would like to get a desktop replacement).

I still have reservations about the reliability and durability of
cheap(ish) laptops. Back in January I bought one of these:
http://www.notebooks.com.au/products_details.php?id=188
they are now $200 cheaper (over 15%!). They don't come much tougher
than Thinkpad T-series, new ones are $3-6K.

> I was wondering about two things here, whether anyone has had much
> experience with Ubuntu on any Dell Inspirons (namely 6000, 630m,
> 6400, and  the 9400 models)

I'm running Dapper Drake on my Thinkpad, very nice indeed. IBM might
not ship desktop machines with Linux, but it seems to be genuine about
making its equipment work properly.

> and whether someone would be willing to buy my PC off me.

Sorry, I have a desktop PC :-)

Gary