[clug] Re: Linux Learners Group idea

Rodney Peters rpeters at pcug.org.au
Thu Jun 15 10:29:21 GMT 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 18:50, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

>   You might like to get in contact with the PCUG's SIG called "Linux
> Learners Group" ...
>
> http://www.pcug.org.au/activities/sigs.htm
>
> They have been running for several years now.
>
> "Why use Linux? People have different reasons. Some use it as a virus and
> spyware countermeasure, others are attracted to robust software or the
> bonus is that it is usually free.
>
> The SIG is for newcomers and early-adopters of Linux. We currently meet
> three times a month for presentations and hands-on discussion:
>
>     * from 10:00am until midday, alternately at the PCUG Centre, Holder
> (first Thursday) and Wests Rugby Club, Macquarie (third Thursday) plus
>     * from 7:30pm until 9:30pm at PCUG Holder (second Tuesday). See the
> PCUG Wiki (http://www.pcug.org.au/oss/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=PCUG.PCUGLinuxSIG)
> for dates and agenda.
>
> Come along to a meeting with your Linux queries or problems and bring your
> hardware too. Preferably email Rod or Richard beforehand.  There is a SIG
> discussion forum available to all PCUG members. See our website
> (http://www.pcug.org.au/LinuxSIG/) for details and more Linux
> information."
>

> They actually call CLUG the "Advanced Linux Users Group" :-)

As one of the co-ordinators of the PCUG Linux SIG, I endorse Stephen's
comments.

One point that has not yet been made in this thread is that the Linux
community in Canberra may not be large enough to support two viable
beginner's LUGs.

What makes PCUG a better venue for Learner's meetings is the facilities there.
PCUG have Linux installations that newbies can try out in hands-on mode plus
an Internet connection, via which additional software or updates can be
obtained.  There is also a separate training setup of 10 PC, for which I
verified Linux compatibility recently.

What we do not have is wide-spread advertising or, until now, people being
directed to the meetings from CLUG.

Rod