[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] Linux Learners Group idea

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Thu Jun 15 04:59:58 GMT 2006

Hi all,

John wrote:

> There's something to be said for a mailing list that focusses on newbie questions.
> The subjects discussed on the CLUG list are so technical as to scare any newbie
> from posting their "how do I start this app?" question.

OTOH, how many people here would subscribe (and actually read) such a list
to give people a helping hand? I'd rather that people feel that it is OK
to ask learner questions here. In fact, I'd also say that it might even get
people thinking about the assumed knowledge/confidence of a wider public
when setting out to seek wider adoption of Linux.

On the rest of this thread:

As for the advocacy, I am definitely against the "MS is evil!" approach. There
is nothing worse than inflicting an unfamiliar solution on someone who is perfectly
happy with what they have been using for the last 10 years. In this case, it is
all too easy for them to equate unfamiliar with awkward and therefore "bad". i.e.
"What do you mean I can't just stick Sims'06 in the CD drive and click install??".

Far better to accept that for the most part, people's decisions are rational and
based on their own knowledge and experience.

Conversely, in many other circumstances, I have seen people completely unaware
that they have been using a Linux system to do their work. They are generally very
impressed to discover all the tools they have been using are also free. :o)

Cheers,

Antti

IMPORTANT - This message has been issued by The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF).  The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material.  It is your responsibility to check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening or sending them on.
Any reproduction, publication, communication, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of the information contained in this e-mail by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  The taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.  If you have received this e-mail as part of a valid mailing list and no longer want to receive a message such as this one advise the sender by return e-mail accordingly.  Only e-mail correspondence which includes this footer, has been authorised by DAFF