[clug] Thanks

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 12 12:30:20 GMT 2006

Thanks Chris

I have had a problem with localhost:631 being disabled but have found a
way to correct that.  I will now try this facility to establish a
printer on the Laptop

Will come back to you all and let you know how I went.  I'm off to
Melbourne in the morning so I won't get back to this problem 'til next week

Thanks again

Ian Bardsley

Hi Ian,

As Drew has already mentioned, you should be able to start the cups
daemon and then set up the printer by browsing to your localhost on
port 631 (http://localhost:631). The web interface makes it quite  easy
to set up a printer, just select USB and the usb port which will  be
something like usb:/dev/usb/lp0 and then select the driver to use.

If you don't know the driver, you can look it up at http://
linuxprinting.org.

I'm assuming of course that the desktop PC is also Linux based? Once
that has been set up you should be able to then tell your other linux
computer to just use cups on the other machine. You can edit the  file
/etc/cups/client.conf (distro depending) and then set  "ServerName" to
the ip address of your desktop machine.

You do not need to start cups daemon on your laptop, your cups will
automatically connect to the cups server on the desktop pc.

If your desktop pc is using windows then you need to share the  printer
and then connect to it via samba share (all set up through  cups on your
laptop). This will mean you have to start cups on your  laptop and run
the daemon.

Hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further
clarifications about the set up.

Cheers,
Chris