[clug] Thanks for the input

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 12 10:57:12 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 14:34 +1000, Ian Bardsley wrote:

>> Thanks Drew
>>
>> I had found that option on the net but for some reason that I dont
>> understand in Ubuntu 5.1 this facility has been disabled and refers back
>> to Cups manager (System, Admin,Printers) so I'm left with my original
>> confusion, whats an URI and how do you determine the correct setting.

OK, I thought they had a clickable thing for selecting a usb printer,
not sure what happened to it.  Bit stupid of them really to remove it.
My usb printer works on usb:/dev/usb/lp0 so you could try something like
that.

You might possibly find useful hints at linuxprinting.org.

>> I appreciate your input

You replied off-list. I don't have all the answer! Keep replying to the
mailing list and others can continue to help  :)

Drew

Thanks again Drew

I think that I'm almost there with this problem.  If I can find a .PPD file that Ubuntu likes for my printer I think it will work
using cups manager to set up.  To this minute, I have managed to get a file to move from Laptop to Desktop print queue and i'm sure that if the PPD info was correct it would actually print.  I must say that this is a very painful exercise but a challenge none the less.

Thanks again for the input.  If you think of anything else that may help, I would appreciate a quick mail

regards

Ian Bardsley