[clug] Some help for a newish user please

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 12 03:35:01 GMT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 10:04 +1000, Ian Bardsley wrote:
> Good Morning to all CLUGers
>
>   I am now at the point of trying to set up printer
> sharing.
>
> However, as I do not understand networking technology I am completely
> bemused by all of the jargon that pervades the various "How Tos"
> available on the 'net.  Is there someone out there who can provide me
> with some guidance in words of one syllable or less on how to establish
> the ability to print to my printer connected via usb to my desktop PC
> from my laptop via the established wireless link?
>
> I have a Dlink modem/router.  Desktop is connect via cable, Laptop via
> Pcmcia wireless card.

Ubuntu should be using CUPS for printing, which can be set up to share
over the network. On your laptop try http://localhost:631/admin, and
check that "Show printers shared by other systems" is turned on.

Likewise on the desktop, check http://localhost:631/printers/, which is
where its USB printer should be listed (should be easy to add if you
haven't got it there yet). Check it has been "published".  Then at
http://localhost:631/admin (on the desktop now, not the laptop), check
that "Share published printers connected to this system" is switched
on.

I believe that should do it for you.

Drew