[clug] Spare laptop HDD and ram

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Tue Jul 11 01:12:08 GMT 2006

On 11/07/2006, at 10:53 AM, Robin Shannon wrote:

> G'day,
>
> Has anyone out there got an old laptop HDD or some spare RAM sitting
> around that they feel like donating
Hey Robin,
Exactly what sort of ram are you after? PC-100? SO-DIMM? Not sure,
but I might have some around somewhere..

As a side note, Linux from Scratch requires manual compilation of all
packages (AFAIK) which = lots of cpu resources and time. An old
laptop will have a hard time compiling all that (though I'm not sure
what you are wanting to compile). You may wish to look into DISTCC to
help with the build process. For that matter, if you have access to a
faster box then you could build it all there for the laptop and
transfer it upon completion.

Re ssh, you only need know the IP address, have the ssh daemon
started, and an account to log in with.

-c