[clug] Rant - er, opinion piece - about Linux

Hugh Fisher hugh.fisher at anu.edu.au
Mon Jan 23 00:54:15 GMT 2006

Brad Hards wrote:

> I disagree. If you want to measure capability, then the ability to handle any
> system (within a reasonably short period) is what should count. I am OK with
> Linux, but not very good with Windows or MacOS. True "wizardry" is about
> being able to handle any system, because you can grok the architecture. Linux
> (or any other single OS) isn't the best way to learn this.

I believe I covered this, but maybe it needs more emphasis. I wrote
that you need to develop a particular mindset, and once you've got
that you'll be able to grok other architectures. I'm arguing that
starting with Linux is the best way to develop this mindset, not
that it will automatically turn you into a cross-platform guru.

--
	Hugh Fisher
	DCS, ANU