[clug] Rant - er, opinion piece - about Linux

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Sat Jan 21 03:36:58 GMT 2006

On 21 Jan 2006, Brad Hards <bradh at frogmouth.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 January 2006 13:22 pm, Hugh Fisher wrote:
> > <http://cs.anu.edu.au/~Hugh.Fisher/rants/wizards-muggles.html>

I think the value of Linux for learning is that you can see all the guts
of it; indeed you can hardly *avoid* seeing all the guts of it.  (Though
perhaps a bit less so than in the past.)

> Example: writing a networking application on Linux is OK, but porting that
> application to windows and adding SSL support that works with CryptoAPI, and
> any of OpenSSL 0.9.6, 0.9.7 or 0.9.7 is mastery.

A bit like the saying that the only programming languages worth
learnings are those that expand your understanding of computers.

--
Martin