[clug] postfix with smarthost using TLS/Authentication

David Collett davec at internode.on.net
Thu Feb 2 07:46:14 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 08:28:33AM +1100, Andrew Goodall wrote:
> Hi David
>
> I've never tried to configure Postfix with authentication between
> MTAs in the way you describe, although I've had success with Postfix
> for TLS between MTAs and TLS/SSL plus authentication for users.
>
> With all due respect, the point of Internode providing an encrypted,
> authenticated SMTP service to users available from any source network
> is so that its as simple as configuring your MUA and there's no
> requirement for running a dedicated MTA on your laptop.

Sure, but as I understand it, this *is* the normal way to configure an
MUA such as mutt which does not have SMTP built-in. If anyone knows of
another, simpler MTA for mutt to use to send mail, be sure to let me
know.

Further research suggests that TLS/Auth to smarthost may be new in
postfix 2.3 which I havent tried yet. Looks like exim may also work.
Does anyone else use a setup like this?

Dave