[clug] Re: A most interesting read, most interesting

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Sat Dec 30 11:56:40 GMT 2006

Although in general I dont agree with much of what he said I can understand his
concerns. It seems that journalist photographers are having trouble adjusting
to the world brought about by modern technology. With the price of high quality
cameras so low, and the ability of any amatour photographer to distribute their
photos to the masses through the internet, the professional photographers are
finding it difficult to make publishers buy their photos for enough money to
sustain a steady income.

Although I sympathise with this persons plight - I totally disagree with his
statements on the subject. This situation is very similar to FOSS vs commercial
software developers - you could argue that FOSS "amatuer" developers giving
away their software results in "professional commercial developers" not being
able to sell their software. That is rediculous.

I see it as a way to allow amateurs to develop their skills and allows more
people to enter the photographic field - obviously if there are more people in
a field the existing professionals will feel the pressure, thats the same in
any field.

If the news publishers decide to publish low quality amateur photos over
professional photos because they are cheap (as he is claiming) that reflects on
the quality of the publisher itself and in turn the audience who buy the
papers. It may be that professional photographers can no longer sustain a full
time income in future - if thats the way technology is going its just progress

Michael.