[UNCLASSIFIED]RE: [clug] G'day from a newbie

Andrew andrew at incanberra.com.au
Tue Dec 19 21:26:54 GMT 2006

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>

>> Looks like your Canon printer is supported under Linux by the ~US$40 Turboprint software
>> if you choose to go that way. At least according to a quick web search it is.
>>

> I'm looking at getting an Epson colour printer as they seem to have really
> good OSS support and reasonably priced inks. I have a Canon scanner that doesn't
> even work properly under MaxOS X, but my Canon camera works just fine.

Since its the season for de-lurking... I have a < $200 Epson Stylus
Photo R230. The support in CUPS / ghostscript / gimp-print is pretty
good, and I think with some experimentation with advanced driver
settings I could have got it to print photo's really well.  But by
default they have a dark cast.  A few days ago I downloaded and
installed the drivers Epson make available, and photo's are now fine,
with no configuration effort.  Epson display the GPL as part of the
download and there appears to be some source available, but
linuxprinting.org does make some reference to a non-code available
portion.