[clug] desktop administration tools on linux [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Rousak, Boris Boris.Rousak at industry.gov.au
Tue Dec 19 03:41:01 GMT 2006

Greets to all,

A question was posed to me earlier today by a windows admin to which no
immediate answer sprang to mind, and as the question was rather
interesting I though I'd pose it to the CLUG collective consciousness :)

What, tools are there, that would allow for the administration of a
large group of users and computers (in hopefully mixed environment).
Something like OpenLDAP or FC directory server spring to mind, but do
they allow one to store user settings like backgrounds, skins and much
more importantly rights to various workstations as part of the profile.
And is it possible to make global manipulations to these rules, eg
anyone in a group called "users" does not have permissions to install
software on the local PC.

I believe Novell ZENWorks and Xandros Desktop Management do something
similar on linux, but they are not really open source and I am not sure
if they work cross platform.

So has anyone heard of such a beast and would care to share the
experience :)

Cheers,

Boris

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it,
is intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential.  If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read,
forward, copy or retain any of the information.  If you received this
e-mail in error, please delete it and notify the sender by return
e-mail or telephone.

The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free
from viruses or any other defects.  You assume all liability for any
loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening
or using the attachments.

The security of emails transmitted in an unencrypted environment
cannot be guaranteed. By forwarding or replying to this email, you
acknowledge and accept these risks.