[clug] desktop administration tools on linux [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Tue Dec 19 23:06:59 GMT 2006

The main traditional way to do this was using Sun Network File System
(NFS) and Sun Network Information System (NIS, also known as Yellow
pages). Over time, NIS has been replaced by NIS+ and now LDAP. NFS is
still the "unixy" way to share home directories around a network of
machines and we (DCS, ANU) use it and LDAP for our staff and student
systems, and it is also extensively used for cluster computers.

For a "mixed environment", you need to look at Samba instead of NFS
and Samba PDC/BDC etc. (or even the Samba 4 ADS) instead of LDAP
(although you can integrate Sambas DC stuff with an LDAP backend).

As for tools, there are plenty around. We use our own web-based tools
to administer our LDAP servers here at DCS, ANU. A search on Freshmeat
will turn up lots of stuff that others have developed and released.
One of the main Samba web-based tools is "SWAT" (Samba Web
Administration Tool). It may do most of what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.