[clug] G'day from a newbie

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 02:04:07 GMT 2006

Welcome to CLUG Fred.

Looks like your Canon printer is supported under Linux by the ~US$40
Turboprint software if you choose to go that way. At least according
to a quick web search it is.

Otherwise you might consider one of the increasing number of
virtualisation options (e.g. VMware) to keep a 'spare' Windows
instance around for things like this.

I tend to approach the purchase of things like printers from the other
end. I ask "Will it work under Linux?" and preferably "Are there any
FOSS drivers for it?" before I buy. I can understand your frustration
though, having a printer you love and not being able to use it.

Anyway, enough of that. I'm sure we're all keen to see how you go
getting InTACT to roll out Linux to servers and desktops across ACT
govt agencies.  :-)

Cheers,
MC