[clug] G'day from a newbie

Pilcher, Fred Fred.Pilcher at act.gov.au
Tue Dec 19 00:44:30 GMT 2006

I've been lurking for a week or so and figured it was time that I introduced myself.

I'm a bureaucrat with ACT government working with InTACT, the government's ICT agency. My interest in Linux is personal more than professional. If and when I ever have anything sensible to say on this list it'll be from a purely personal POV.

At home I'm in the process of making the switch. My lovely Canon photo printer (i965) has, as yet, no Linux drivers available so Windows will have a place under my desk until I either replace the printer or drivers become available. I've settled on SLED 10 with KDE (and still mulling over the Novell/MS deal) after trying many distros, and my daughter is running Simply Mepis 6, mainly because it detected and worked with her wireless card from first boot.

I'm a rank beginner and I hope that, by watching the conversations between you luminaries, I'll absorb some knowledge by osmosis.

Cheers,

Fred Pilcher