[clug] transcoding MythTV files to divx or DVD size

Leo Kliger lkliger at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 12 22:34:58 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 07:27 +1100, Tim Potter wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-10 at 09:53 +1100, Leo Kliger wrote:
>
> > > Garrg I might if have to try windows utilities...
> >
> > now what kind of talk is that?
> >
> > if you're willing to work with your file outside of mythtv itself then
> > you should have a look at ProjectX.... it will split the video and audio
> > streams for you while fixing up video stream issues.... you can then use
> > something like ffmpeg bring the two streams back together while
> > compressing each to whatever you want....
>
> If you can get java installed and working, and if you can get ProjectX
> installed and working.  I tried and failed.

I don't recall it being that involved... Though I haven't installed it
on my current system as I haven't required it since rebuilding my FC4
system with FC5....

Did you seek any help / advice?
How far did you get?

>   Really, the quality of the
> free tools for MPEG editing is very low.  Once you have used the TMPGEnc
> Windows programs there really is no going back.  I even ended up forking
> over money for a full registered version.

I have to agree that open source utilities do tend to lack a little in
this regard... but I have been able to use win32 programs with wine
wherever required...

Leo