[clug] Red Hat linux purchase

Drew Parsons Drew.Parsons at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 11 01:40:07 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 11:24 +1000, Duncan Bolt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the Academics here needs to run a scientific package and it lists
> its requirements as Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 3.0 (64-bits). I am
> currently setting up his new Xeon machine for it.
>
> As far as I remember, this is not a free copy anymore, so he has to buy
> it. Is this true ?
>
> If so where can we purchase a copy of this ?

You could always buy RedHat Linux off... Red Hat.
https://www.redhat.com/apps/commerce/

When commercial software companies say they "require" a particular
version of Linux, they commonly mean they are only willing to provide
paid support for their software when used on that version.  That is, the
software is well likely to work perfectly fine on other versions,
including free ones, for instance the "free" version of Red Hat which is
called Fedora (at the end of the day they're all linux, after all), but
you'd have to be able to set it up and keep it running yourself.

Drew