[clug] FC5 Yum Problems continues

Michael O'Keeffe themjwok at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 05:16:02 GMT 2006

Hi All,

Recently I posted questions about getting yum to work. In the snippets that
follow I have a copy of one of my repo files but I do not believe this to be
the problem since when yum cannot see the its targets nor can wget (e.g. the
address just won't resolve) BUT web browsers can e.g. firefox and konqueor
can pull down the target. To make it a little more interesting the failures
are not consistent - sometimes a certain repo file works and sometimes in
doesn't!

To add one more layer to the problem a couple of times the update did start
but when it was downloading packages it started to skip them (consecutively)
because it couldn't resolve the address. Viewing the URL through the web
browser and/or refreshing it would "appear" to fix the problem i.e. yum
would resolve the URLs and download the packages.

I've checked if my ADSL router has a local cache (e.g. squid) and I'm pretty
sure it doesn't, I'm running a D-Link 504T (it was proposed that the cache
might be getting to full causing the router to fail). Although I don't think
this should be an issue I have downloaded a Debian image in the past using
the Jigsaw downloader.

Baffled!
Michael

Repo and output snippets below....

fedor-core.repo
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======
[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-5
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-debuginfo]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0<snip>
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-source]<snip>
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Source
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/source/SRPMS/
enabled=0<snip>
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
</snip><snip>

dries.repo
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======
[core]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-5
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-debuginfo]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Debug
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY

[core-source]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Source
baseurl=
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/source/SRPMS/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======

freshrpms.repo
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Freshrpms
baseurl=
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms/
mirrorlist=
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/mirrors-freshrpms
enabled=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-freshrpms
gpgcheck=1
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======

And some sample outputs during a session:
Of yum...
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
dries                                                                [1/6]
core                                                                 [2/6]
core                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
updates                                                              [3/6]
updates                   100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
freshrpms                                                            [4/6]
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/5/i386/freshrpms/repodata/repomd.xml:
[Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: freshrpms
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from freshrpms: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to
try.
Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from freshrpms: [Errno 256] No more
mirrors to try
==8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======8<=======
Before this run core was the failure point.

Sample output from wget....
# wget
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
--14:56:53--
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/os/repodata/repomd.xml
           => `repomd.xml'
Resolving download.fedora.redhat.com... 1.0.0.0
Connecting to download.fedora.redhat.com|1.0.0.0|:80...