[clug] Advice sought on wireless linux media distribution

Doug Palmer Doug.Palmer at csiro.au
Thu Nov 17 23:01:10 GMT 2005

I have my computers (running Linux, naturally) in one room and my TV,
stereo, comfy sofa, family, etc. in another. It's becoming sadly
noticeable that any time I want to play something that is on my PC, I
have to burn a CD/DVD. So, what I would like to do is arrange some
method for routing audio and video back and forth between the two rooms.

I could probably get away with stringing cables back and forth, but it
seems a little inelegant. The chance to route something to an outdoor
speaker also appeals.

s Does anybody have any advice on achieving the following:

Must haves:

Send audio/video from a PC running fedora core 4 to TV and stereo
Play MP3s, MPEGS, AVIs, DVDs, Ogg/Vorbis, and the rest of that crowd

Should haves:

Wireless
Send audio/video from Radio/TV/VCR to the PC
Ability to control playback, music selections from the TV-end; I'm not
so far lost to shame that I can't rise from the sofa, but I would prefer
not to go trotting from room to room all the time.

Would likes:

Routing to an outdoor or portable speaker. This should include radio
from the stereo tuner, if possible.

I have a budget of about $1000 for this. Something like the D-Link
DSM-320 appeals, to a certain extent. But I'd like to set things up to
run both ways and I don't know if I can get server software to run on
Linux. All advice gratefully received.