[clug] Advice sought on wireless linux media distribution

Red Phoenix intersect at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 23:17:26 GMT 2005

Doug,

Sounds like a MythTV box might form at least part of the solution if you
have around $1k to spare. Note though, that as I have a myth box running,
perhaps I'm falling in to the 'if you have a hamer, everything looks like a
nail' trap. ;)

* Send audio/video from a PC running fedora core 4 to TV and stereo
Check. The mythtv box would be hooked up to your TV. Audio out goes to the
stereo or to the TV (whichever accepts audio-in).

* Play MP3s, MPEGS, AVIs, DVDs, Ogg/Vorbis, and the rest of that crowd
Check.

* Send audio/video from Radio/TV/VCR to the PC
Check. The tuner card in your mythtv box can grab TV programs. You can also
run a remote 'mythtv frontend' on your PC to watch stuff while the rest of
the family is hogging the TV. ;) I've heard that the PVr350 can also pull in
radio, but have never tried. VCR can come in through the video-in port on
your tuner card.

* Ability to control playback, music selections from the TV-end
Check.

* Routing to an outdoor or portable speaker. This should include radio
from the stereo tuner, if possible.
A bit out of scope for mythtv itself unfortunately.

Drop me an email, and pop around for a gawk at my setup on the weekend, if
you're interested.

Regards,

Leigh.