[clug] Odd Problem

Paul Matthews plm at netspace.net.au
Sun May 29 10:39:48 GMT 2005

G'Day All,

Now this odd problem has been bothering me for quite some time, but I
cannot seem to resove it.

Let's say I am copying files off (or to) a DVD, and reading a web page
at the same time. If I scroll the web page (either via the mouse wheel,
the keyboard or the scroll bars), the file reading/writting on the DVD
will fail.

If there is no CD in the drive and I do the same thing the light, on the
DVD will flash. This also seems to cause a slight lockup with the machine.

This is the most repeatable way to cause the problem the occur. But it
also happens if I am playing Enemy Territory.

/var/log/messages has the following occasionally:
  hdc: lost interrupt

I have tried the following
* changed mouse protocol (I thought it was just the mouse wheel at first)
* moved the DVD to its own IDE channel
* updated the video drivers (nvidia)
* turned DMA off on the DVD

But all to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions where to look next?

SuSE9.3Pro 2.6.11.4-20a-default AMD

--
PM