[clug] Mounting Win XP DIRECTORY in Linux

Peter Anderson pjafrombbay at yahoo.com.au
Sat May 28 05:31:03 GMT 2005

Martin,

An update and final working solution that might be of use to someone else one day.

I looked at the file /etc/mtab (a hint from a Google search) and saw how the OS interpreted my
'manual bind'; I then copied that entry into /etc/fstab ('mount -- bind' apparently doesn't work
in fstab).  The fstab mount lines for the WinXP drive now look like:

/dev/hda1       /media/windows  ntfs    umask=0222      0       0
# Next line added to mount/bind "My Document" directory
/media/windows/Documents\040and\040Settings/Peter\040Anderson/My\040Documents /media/windocs none
rw,bind 0 0

I have re-booted the PC and everything is in place after the re-boot.  Fantastic.

Once again, many thanks.

Peter

Peter AndersonThere is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.  Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince, ch. 6