[clug] CVS pain

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed May 18 10:04:25 GMT 2005

On 18 May 2005, Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

> I have a fairly simple cvs setup:
>
> A CVS server in the sky. There is a checkout of a module to my laptop,
> where I did not edits. I then scp'ed that to my research box.
>
> ...Much updating to stuff to do with things later...
>
> Now I'm trying to commit the changes from the research box, and getting
> the error:
>
> cvs [commit aborted]: could not find desired version 1.5 in
> /srv/stillhq.com/www/html/cvs/phd/compression/doco.tex,v
>
> Does anyone have any idea what this actually _means_? It's starting to
> get kinda annoying.

I think it means it's looking for version 1.5 in that ,v file and it
can't find it.  (You could run rlog on that file to see if it does in
fact contain a r1.5.)

Why would it be doing that?  I can think of two main reasons:

1 - Your checkout is inconsistent with the repository (e.g. because
   something went wrong when you scp'd it.)

or 2 - The CVS repo itself is corrupt.

The easiest way to recover is probably this:

- move aside your working directory

- get a new checkout

- use dirdiff, meld, emerge, something similar to move your changes
  into the new version

- commit that

> (Suggestions for other source control systems will be entertained,
  if:

My advice is to stick with cvs for now and consider switching to
bazaar-ng later in the year.

--
Martin